Hello! I am a consultant, author and concept developer based in Berlin. As a visualisation strategist, I am interested in how data visualisation and enlightening visuals can be used to communicate complex knowledge. “Complex,” as in fuzzy, overwhelming, abstract, multidimensional or just plain complicated.
I regularly share my knowledge about data visualisation as a consultant, and help clients communicating complex information using visuals. Currently I am venturing into the fields of data science and machine learning, in an on-going collaboration with Idalab GmbH Berlin. Furthermore, I have worked in various teams for developing interactive and computational installations, mostly with TRIAD Berlin and ART+COM Studios.
I have published two books with art and design publisher TASCHEN which tackle the current burst in the field of information graphics and data visualisation. In cooperation with New York-based Princeton Architectural Press, I recently released a book about the work of Charles-Joseph Minard, one of the most important forefathers of modern information visualization. Furthermore, I am currently preparing a massive overview of “The History of Information Graphics”, to be out from TASCHEN in May 2019.
My academic background is in art history and cultural theory. I support the work of Amnesty International. For some random meddling follow me on Twitter. If you want to get in touch, please drop me a line using this form below.
IN THE PRESS (selected)
- Deutschlandfunk Kultur: “Auf den Spuren der Daten. Die Geschichte der Infografik” (radio feature, July 10th, 2019)
- Süddeutsche Zeitung: “Nach dem Jupiter gleich links ab” (June 25th, 2019)
- The Dirt: “Charles-Joseph Minard: A Legacy of Beautiful Data-based Maps” (October 3rd, 2018)
- Popular Science: “Charles Minard is known for the ‘best graphic ever,’ but he may have topped it with these maps” (November 9th, 2018)
- NZZ Format (SRF, 3sat): “Die Macht der Bilder – der Grafikboom” (October 13th, 2016)
- Monocle Radio Section D: “The rise of infographics” (Oct 7, 2014)
- Deutschlandradio Kultur: “Blick auf eine neue Kulturtechnik” (July 31st, 2012)
- El Pais Blog: “El poder de entender” (September 7th, 2012)
- ART Magazine Germany: Interview (May 29th, 2012)
- It’s nice that: Interview (May 14th, 2012)
- Brain Pickings: “Lessons in Conveying Complex Ideas with Simple Graphics from the World’s Best Information Designers” (May 1st, 2012)
- The Guardian Data Blog: “Infographics old and new: top data visualisations, in pictures” (March 16th, 2012)
GET IN TOUCH