Hello! My name is Sandra and I am a happy resident of Berlin.
I am an editor, concept developer and author. In collaboration with various teams, I develop innovative digital products and print publications. My main interests are in visual communication, infographics & data visualization, illustration and great design. I am currently cooperating with German magazine KULTURAUSTAUSCH as their digital editor.
I have published four books about infographics and data visualisation. The History of Information Graphics (published in collaboration with Taschen) is a massive overview of some 1200 years of infographics. Furthermore, I released a book about the work of Charles-Joseph Minard (with Princeton Architectural Press) — one of the most important forefathers of modern information visualization. The book assembles his complete oeuvre of statistical maps, most of which was unknown to the public. Two earlier compilations, also published with Taschen, provide a survey of contemporary data visualisation.
Besides publishing my own books, I have collaborated with some brilliant minds in the creative sphere of Berlin, such as with strategic consultancy Sapera, with ART+COM Studios, a specialist for interactive mediascapes, and the artifial intelligence consultancy for biotech, Idalab. My academic background is in art history and cultural theory.
I support the work of Amnesty International. You can find me on Twitter or Instagram. If you want to get in touch, please drop me a line using the form below.
GET IN TOUCH
IN THE PRESS (selected)
- Deutschlandfunk Kultur: “Auf den Spuren der Daten. Die Geschichte der Infografik” (radio feature, July 10th, 2019)
- Süddeutsche Zeitung: “Nach dem Jupiter gleich links ab” (June 25th, 2019)
- The Dirt: “Charles-Joseph Minard: A Legacy of Beautiful Data-based Maps” (October 3rd, 2018)
- Popular Science: “Charles Minard is known for the ‘best graphic ever,’ but he may have topped it with these maps” (November 9th, 2018)
- NZZ Format (SRF, 3sat): “Die Macht der Bilder – der Grafikboom” (October 13th, 2016)
- Monocle Radio Section D: “The rise of infographics” (Oct 7, 2014)
- Deutschlandradio Kultur: “Blick auf eine neue Kulturtechnik” (July 31st, 2012)
- El Pais Blog: “El poder de entender” (September 7th, 2012)
- ART Magazine Germany: Interview (May 29th, 2012)
- It’s nice that: Interview (May 14th, 2012)
- Brain Pickings: “Lessons in Conveying Complex Ideas with Simple Graphics from the World’s Best Information Designers” (May 1st, 2012)
- The Guardian Data Blog: “Infographics old and new: top data visualisations, in pictures” (March 16th, 2012)