Hello! As a visualisation strategist, I am interested in how data visualisation and enlightening visuals can be used to communicate complex knowledge. “Complex,” as in fuzzy, overwhelming, abstract, multidimensional or just plain complicated.
I currently serve as Head of Design for Sapera, a Berlin-based consultancy specialising in information visualisation and strategic consulting. I have previously worked freelance as author, consultant and concept developer for interactive and computational installations. My latest book was released in May 2019 from art and design publisher TASCHEN: The History of Information Graphics is a massive overview of some 1200 years of infovis excellence.
In cooperation with New York-based Princeton Architectural Press, I released a book about the work of Charles-Joseph Minard in 2018. Minard is considered one of the most important forefathers of modern information visualization, and the book assembles his complete oeuvre in statistical graphics. Before that, I had published two books with art and design publisher TASCHEN which cover the contemporary burst in the field of information graphics and data visualisation. Other collaborators over the years include TRIAD Berlin and ART+COM Studios, as well as the data science-consultancy Idalab.
My academic background is in art history and cultural theory. I support the work of Amnesty International. For some random meddling follow me on Twitter. If you want to get in touch, please drop me a line using this form below.
IN THE PRESS (selected)
- Deutschlandfunk Kultur: “Auf den Spuren der Daten. Die Geschichte der Infografik” (radio feature, July 10th, 2019)
- Süddeutsche Zeitung: “Nach dem Jupiter gleich links ab” (June 25th, 2019)
- The Dirt: “Charles-Joseph Minard: A Legacy of Beautiful Data-based Maps” (October 3rd, 2018)
- Popular Science: “Charles Minard is known for the ‘best graphic ever,’ but he may have topped it with these maps” (November 9th, 2018)
- NZZ Format (SRF, 3sat): “Die Macht der Bilder – der Grafikboom” (October 13th, 2016)
- Monocle Radio Section D: “The rise of infographics” (Oct 7, 2014)
- Deutschlandradio Kultur: “Blick auf eine neue Kulturtechnik” (July 31st, 2012)
- El Pais Blog: “El poder de entender” (September 7th, 2012)
- ART Magazine Germany: Interview (May 29th, 2012)
- It’s nice that: Interview (May 14th, 2012)
- Brain Pickings: “Lessons in Conveying Complex Ideas with Simple Graphics from the World’s Best Information Designers” (May 1st, 2012)
- The Guardian Data Blog: “Infographics old and new: top data visualisations, in pictures” (March 16th, 2012)
GET IN TOUCH